Wednesday, July 8, 2015

New Britain to Staten Island

Yesterday we enjoyed delicious omelets prepared by Mary-Joan (sous chef) and Charles (chef) before 'loadin' up the truck' and heading down the Merritt Parkway to our destination for the day--Staten Island and a visit with Gary and Oswaldo.

These long-time friends of Pav are wonderfully hospitable, witty, and just plain fun.  Oswaldo took us into Manhattan where we got to see the new Freedom Tower close-up and the 9/11 Memorial.  I just stood and listened to the water fall down the walls of the pool, recalling where I was that day--teaching French at New Britain High--sensing that the world had changed forever.

We returned to Staten Island, picked up Gary from work and enjoyed a beautiful evening together--dinner, wine, conversation, and much laughter.  This visit was far too brief...

 an incomparable view...
(perhaps a steadier hand next time...)

And so, as I complete this post, we're packed up and ready to make our way out of Staten Island, heading south to Atlanta.  More to come...





6 comments:

  1. Off to a great start boys! Who is that person ( in the photo at the top of your blog) dressed in all yellow, with a yellow face and light blond hair? A hitchhiker?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's Boris the Bear! He's our travel mascot. Good reports of Duncan and Diego back home in the good and capable hands of Emma K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should be in Florida sometime between July 31 and August 8 on the west coast specifically. I pack a really good beach lunch. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or, you could come pack one of your really good beach lunches on the west coast - of California!

    ReplyDelete